Thursday, October 21, 2010

Report #3

This week at body shop I arrived at 6pm and hung out with kids and supervised. For the first hour (6pm - 7pm) I hung out with the kids and worshiped along side them, leading by example, and helped the speaker for the night with her illustration. For the next hour (7pm - 8pm) I helped lead a discipleship group that for the middle school boys. I would help the boys understand certain if they had any questions and make sure they were paying attention. Once all the kids were gone for the night, I had a debrief with some of the leaders, discussing how the night went and how we could make it improve. The discussion lasted from 8pm to 9ish pm, possibly a little later. We brought before Julia and discussed things with her as well. After that I talked with Julia one on one about details as a Body Shop speaker, which took roughly a half hour. After that was done I discussed issues from the night with fellow Body Shop volunteers, allowing them to know how the night went and how we planned to improve in certain areas from our experience this week. I talked with them for about 45 minutes about these issues.

Communication is key: Body Shop this week was interesting. I have been a little confused on how things go when I am not speaking. Only speaking the first Wednesday of every month, I am a little confused on what I do as a leader on the other nights. This Wednesday I found myself a little misunderstood on how to encourage the kids during our worship songs. I was misunderstood on if I should laugh and goof with them during the music or if I should be 100% serious. Last year for Wednesday nights Body Shop worship songs were crazy with dudes running around and jumping over chairs. This year the songs are slower and more heart felt and the worship leader, Jeff, shares scripture and explain songs. So I was struggling with that this week. We also had troubles in our discipleship group this week. We had too many leaders within the group and ¾’s of them didn’t understand their roles to well. We had leaders putting in their two cents and completely taking over the conversation and also making the leader in charge look like an idiot. The discussion became so confusing that even I, a leader, didn’t understand what we were talking about. By the end of the discussion kids were slouching in their chairs and everyone left confused. Our debriefing time wasn’t planned but I sat us down and we had one due to how bad the night had gone. Through our discussion, we all agreed that there was an enormous lack of Communication within our ministry. I was personally frustrated because no one allowed me to know anything. And I am a main speaker for the ministry! Through this weeks experience I learned the importance of communicating with your fellow leaders. I learned the importance of knowing the order and mind set of the services. Our ministry will crash and burn without communication. I truly saw the importance of knowing everyone’s roles, whose in charge and whose there to supervise. Communication is key.

This week my spiritual life was amazing! I grew so much more in depth in understanding my own body. I did the Daniel fast this week with a friend and it helped me with humility, self discipline, and focusing in on God to a deeper level. Through this fast I was constantly feeling God’s help throughout my days. It helped me focus on Him stronger even when I wasn’t in solitude. My mindset was sharply focused on Him the whole week because my stomach wouldn’t let me forget. It was an amazing time of growth and beating my body into submission. I started reading in Proverbs, studying the importance of wisdom. That has been helping my thought process form more maturely. Time with God has been strong this week because of my fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment